Frequently Asked Questions
Here’s some information about my practice that you might find helpful. If you have a question and it’s not covered below, please contact me and I’ll get back to you by the end of the next business day.
- I have insurance coverage through work (or through a spouse). Will that cover your services? I am a Registered Psychotherapist (RP). Therapy benefits often include RPs for plans that include a therapy benefit. If you have insurance coverage through an employer, partner, or parent, that insurance may be available to help offset the cost of therapy. Please check with your insurance company to confirm your coverage, your deductible amount (the portion of the fee that you pay), and maximum annual amount covered (if applicable). Insurance coverage may cover all or part of the total cost of therapy, up to a stated annual maximum.
- I don’t have insurance coverage. Can I still see you? Yes, no problem.
- Are your services covered by O.H.I.P.? My services are not covered by O.H.I.P. O.H.I.P. only covers therapy provided by a medical doctor with the appropriate training or a psychiatrist.
- How long is each appointment? All sessions are 50-55 minutes in length, unless a longer session is desired and booked in advance.
- How do I pay for counselling? See Fees.
- How many sessions will it take? It depends on many factors, such as: how well we establish rapport, what you’re trying to achieve from therapy, what has your life experience been up to this point?, what are you currently struggling with?, how willing and prepared you are to get started? to name a few. After 1-3 sessions, we will work out a therapy agreement concerning the frequency and duration of therapy.
- Do you offer services over the phone, by Skype, or by e-mail? Yes. Preference is to have at least one in person session because therapy is relational and can be greatly enhanced through in person contact. For clients who travel or find it difficult to come into my office from time to time, I will provide therapy via a secure, online channel (Zoom) and telephone. My hourly rates apply for this option, and payment is sent ahead of the session via etransfer, though not processed until after the session.
- What is your cancellation policy? I work diligently to meet the needs of my clients in scheduling sessions that are most convenient for them. In return, I ask all clients to provide 48 hours notice if they have to cancel or reschedule their appointment times. As a result, I charge the full session fee for missed appointments or appointments cancelled or rescheduled with less than a full 48 hours notice. In the case of an emergency, an admin fee may be charged at my discretion.
- How do I book an appointment with you? Through the “Contact Me” form on this site, through e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) or call 416-317-8277.
- When are appointments available? Appointments are available from 8am through 8pm. Evening and some weekend appointments are also available.
- Do you offer a free consultation? We begin with a phone consultation at no cost to you as the fit between you and I is essential for the therapy to be effective. In our initial session, if it’s clear we’re not a fit, we would simply end the session for no fee.
- How confidential is our discussion? Given the nature of this work, your privacy is extremely important. In accordance with the regulations outlined by the College of Registered Psychotherapists (CRPO), all information discussed or collected in the process of therapy is held confidential and will not be shared with anyone (i.e., a third party) without your knowledge and written permission — except where required by law, which includes a situation where a client:
- Threatens serious physical harm to either himself/herself or to someone else;
- Reports physical or sexual child abuse (even if the victim is an adult now), if there is reason to believe that the accused abuser is still in a position to abuse other children;
- Reports serious misconduct of any registered health professional; and/or
- The client’s clinical file is subpoenaed.
- Do you offer emergency services? I do not offer emergency services. In case of an emergency, clients should dial 911, contact their family practitioner, or go to the Emergency department of any hospital. Also, see the Resources section of this site.
All email messages are kept strictly confidential. However, please realize this is not a secure server.